Every summer Gomde California offers a number of work-study positions that allow people of all backgrounds to attend our diverse programs at a substantially reduced rate in exchange for 4 hours of service a day, five days a week. Work-study students have access to all our programs and are offered housing and all meals. This program offers an excellent opportunity to engage in an extended period of study and practice at our beautiful and remote Northern California center.
We offer both a full-summer residential program and daily work-study rates for those who aren’t able to spend the entire summer with us.
Full Summer Program
Buddhist Studies Summer Program (June 10th -August 20th): $950
Our residential program is designed to provide a comprehensive presentation of all aspects of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist thought. It includes access to all seminars with visiting teachers and the month-long Buddhist Studies program with our resident Lama Tsultrim Sangpo. Students in this program benefit from daily meditation sessions, guidance from our resident lamas, and regular lectures and discussions on all topics of Buddhist thought. This program offers the most substantially reduced rate and requires attendance for the entire duration of the summer season. Please visit the Buddhist Studies Summer Program page for complete information.
Regular work-study rate: $20/day.
- This applies to all dates outside of major seminars, including the week when Phakchok Rinpoche will remain in residence (June 23-30) after his weekend program.
- It specifically applies to the July 1-31 program with our resident Tibetan Lama, Tsultrim Sangpo. He will spend the month teaching on Gampopa’s Precious Garland, a pithy text that elegantly covers all the key points of the path. This program also includes our annual Kurukulle Drubchö, an elaborate, multi-day ritual practice based on a practice cycle from our lineage.
- In addition to Lama Tsultrim’s program, Gomde offers daily meditation training, discussion sessions, and regular lectures on Buddhist history and philosophy.
Daily work-study rate during seminars: $50/day.
- This rate applies to programs with Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche (June 13-15), Phakchok Rinpoche (June 19-22), Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche (August, TBA), and Khandro Rinpoche (August 29-31).
- Participants are given a substantial staff position for the duration of the program.
- Please note: Work-study positions are limited during seminars and preference will be given to those staying in residence for longer periods. If you are only attending a specific seminar, please register for that seminar prior to applying for a work-study position.
For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please fill out and submit the form at the bottom of this page.
We are able to offer these reduced rates because of the integral role work-study participants take in the operation of our center and the staffing of our programs. Participants are asked to work four hours a day, five days a week and to take a substantive role in the staffing of our major programs. We offer a variety of jobs for people of all abilities and skills and will make every effort to assign participants to work crews that suit their talents.
Led by Gomde staff, participants work in various crews that are generally broken down into the following categories:
Kitchen: working with Gomde’s cooking staff on the preparation and service of meals throughout the summer and specifically during Gomde events.
Housekeeping/Hospitality: maintenance of Gomde’s residential and communal facilities, support for individual retreatants, and works in the Dining Tent and Kitchen crew during seminars.
Landscaping and Gardening: maintenance of Gomde’s property, which typically includes brush clearing, gardening, campground maintenance, etc. Supports campers and monitors campgrounds during events.
Building and Maintenance: Works on facility maintenance, which can include light carpentry or construction.Please let us know of any special skills you may have that could contribute to the center or programs.
Administration: work with staff in areas of seminar administration, promotions, etc.
Audio-Visual: For those with requisite skills, positions are often available in photography, videography, staffing of our audio booth, and archiving.
Anyone with specific skills in any of these areas, or in other areas that may be helpful to our center, are encouraged to let us know during the application process.
Sample Daily Schedule:
6:30 Morning Gomde group practice
8:30 Meet with their crew leaders.
9-12 Work with assigned crew.
1:00- 3:30 Free period
3:30 – 5:00 Teaching/lecture session
5:30 Evening Gomde group Practice
Mondays and Thursdays are days off from work and teachings, though the meditation and meal schedule continues
The schedule provides opportunities for extracurricular activities in and around Gomde. Options will depend on group preferences and the availability of transportation. Please let us know if you will be coming with a car and can offer rides.