Gomde California is embarking on a major action that will benefit the entire community and our mission to support the spread of Buddhism in North America. As many of you know, we have been working on Gomde California’s Master Plan and Use Permit for many years. We have finally arrived at the moment when the Mendocino County Planning Commission will hear our request for a Use Permit to function as a retreat center.
The Public Hearing is scheduled for Thursday, March 19th, at 9:00 am in the Board of Supervisors Chambers, located at 501 Low Gap Road in Ukiah, California.
The agenda for the meeting and information about our application, including the the County’s Staff report and recommendations, can be found here.
We hope that you will take some time to offer your support to Gomde California and our application process. There are many ways to voice your support.
- Send an email to the Planning Commission before March 18th
- Mail a letter, before March 18th, to: The Mendocino County Planning Commission, Planning and Building Services Dept. 860 North Bush Street, Ukiah, CA 95482.
- Testify in person, and provide “public comment” during the hearing itself.
- Or all three!
IF POSSIBLE, PLEASE FOCUS ON DISCUSSING HOW IMPORTANT GOMDE IS TO YOU PERSONALLY AND TO THE COMMUNITY RATHER THAN TRYING TO DISCUSS THE MERITS OF OUR SPECIFIC USE PERMIT/REZONING APPLICATION, WHICH IS COMPLICATED.
This link will provide you with letter that can be used as a template, but feel free to adapt it or develop your own. Please include the following the information in the subject line, including our Agenda item and date of the hearing:
Agenda Item #6d, Project Case #: R_2013-0001/U_2013-0001; March 19, 2015
Your support is critical to the overall process. It doesn’t matter whether you live near Gomde or far away. If you support Gomde California and Rinpoche’s vision for the land, please make the effort to reach out to the Planning Commissioners directly to voice your support for this important milestone in our development and growth. As Rinpoche always stresses to us, Gomde California is your center.
If you have any questions or concerns or what more information about the project, please feel free to contact Joanne Brion at email@example.com or call her at 707-494-6648.
What to expect
If you plan on attending the hearing, we are fourth on the agenda and thus our item may not come up for a while. The planning commission is the first public body with jurisdiction to hear our request. The Board of Supervisors is the second and final public body that will review our application. The staff has made a favorable recommendation to approve our application and environmental review, assuming the listed conditions and requirements are met. The planning commission will hear:
- A summary of the staff report by our county project coordinator.
- We as the applicant will make a short presentation on our organization and project.
- Commissioners may ask questions at this point or defer to after public comment.
- The public is invited to speak on behalf or against the project (normally 2-3 minutes each).
- The Commission chair will close public hearing (no more public comment or input is allowed).
- The Commission will continue with discussion, questions and debate, which can include questions to staff or applicant.
- The Chair calls for a motion to vote; motion called, seconded and commission takes a vote.